About Kitchen Sink Garbage Disposals
A quality garbage disposal can make kitchen maintenance so much easier. The best garbage disposals will last you a long time, delivering excellent waste management to your kitchen sink for years. Browse around and research all the various features of our sink garbage disposals and take advantage of cthe best prices on the web. This Excel Evolution model would be a great option for any homeowner.
Why You Need a Garbage Disposal
- It makes your kitchen more hygienic and pleasant since you will not need to put your table scraps or food leftovers in the trash. That prevents bacteria from growing and smelly odors in the trash container from spreading throughout the room.
- Pests are attracted to food scraps; if you leave them in the trash can, you ask for trouble.
- Disposals offer much easier and quicker post-meal cleanup.
- Protects your plumbing and saves you money by avoiding costly emergency repairs due to clogged pipes.
- Is good for the environment as it reduces garbage sent to landfills.
- With a garbage disposal unit, water waste from your kitchen sink is recycled into energy sources and fertilizer when transferred to the wastewater treatment plant.
Here is a basic overview of the installation process:
- Disconnect the power and remove your old sink garbage disposal (if you have an existing one).
- Install the drain fitting and the mounting ring of your new garbage disposal to hold it in place underneath the sink.
- Screw the mounting screws (typically three) on a rotation to tighten the mounting ring assembly.
- Attach the plug-in power cord.
- Connect the dishwasher (optional).
- Mount the garbage disposal.
- Connect the drain lines.
- Tighten the rotating cam collar using a screwdriver or a special wrench that comes with the disposal to firmly lock the disposal unit in place.
- Check all connections for leaks by turning the water on and letting it run through the disposal. Turn on the disposal and run it while flushing water and some organic things through the drain to ensure it works as expected.
To get some more ideas, feel free to watch this short installation video by West Harris.
One tip is to drop some ice cubes down the drain and chop them up now and then. This will help to keep the impeller blade sharp. Baking soda or lemons are great ways to freshen up the smell of your sink.
More about Their Origin
The garbage disposal was invented to reduce municipal food waste because food scraps that decompose in landfills have been shown to generate methane gas. Because of a lack of understanding, cities have long banned the installation or use of sink garbage disposals. Due to many efforts by manufacturers such as Waste King, InSinkErator, and Whirlaway, their use in residential homes is now more prominent. As of 2009, fifty percent of households had working disposal units.
Find the Best Garbage Disposals for Sale
There are many different varieties of garbage disposals for sale here at PlumbersStock if you have questions in regards to what model is right for you do not hesitate to contact or call and ask one of our friendly customer service representatives for help deciding! Brands include:
- Waste King
- and more!
How to Fix a Leaking Garbage Disposal
How to Use a Garbage Disposal
How to Clean a Disposal
What Not to Put in a Garbage Disposal
How to Install an InSinkErator
How to Choose the Best Garbage Disposal
Garbage Disposal Won't Turn On
How to Unjam a Garbage Disposal
How to Wire a Garbage Disposal