About Garden Hose Bibbs
Hose bibbs are widely used valves for both residential and commercial purposes. We have thousands of hose bibb options, including name brands Woodford, Arrowhead Brass, B&K Mueller, Watts, and more.
If you have any trouble locating the right parts, please get in touch with a member of our professional staff. You should be well informed before purchasing to ensure you get the correct hose bib for your project. PlumbersStock offers a wide variety of fittings to ensure your lawn and garden get the care they need.
What Is a Hose Bibb?
Also known as wall hydrants, spigots, sillcocks, etc., hose bibbs are the fixtures you commonly see on the outside of homes. They are threaded so that you can easily attach and secure a hose. They are typically made up of a single valve stem system but can have more than one. Replacing a bibb is not a highly complex task. There are two main types of hose bibbs: those with a threaded connection and those that need to be soldered. It is much simpler to replace a wall hydrant with a threaded end, but it is also possible to replace the soldered type. First, we will discuss how to replace the threaded version.
To replace a hose bibb, you need:
- 2 Adjustable wrenches
- Teflon tape
- A gas or propane torch
- Solder (if necessary)
- Soldering Flux
Threaded Hose Bibb Replacement
- The primary step when replacing any part connected to water pipes is to turn off the main source of the water. It is not necessary that you completely drain the pipes before replacing a threaded hose bibb.
- To remove the old one, stabilize the main pipe with one wrench while twisting the body of the bibb with the other wrench. Be sure to stabilize the main pipe to prevent any twisting, as that could create a large amount of damage to the pipe. This could not be easy to repair as many pipes are within the body of the house or building.
- Once the old part has been removed, you should clean off any excess dirt or debris with a cloth or towel.
- You can then apply the Teflon tape to the threaded end, where the new hose bibb will be attached.
- Then twist the new one onto the pipe. It is normal to have 2-3 threads showing at the back of the hose bibb.
Soldered Hose Bibb Replacement
- Once again, the first step to take is to turn off the main source of water. With soldered hose bibbs, however, it is essential to remove all of the water. If there is water in the pipe, it cannot be heated sufficiently to solder the pipe. This can be done with a shop vac.
- If there is sufficient pipe, you can just cut the pipe and solder the new hose bibb to the end. If not, the old bibb can be removed by heating it with a torch and using the same two-wrench method explained previously.
- Once the old hose bibb has been removed, solder the adapter piece to the pipe.
- The new bibb can then be attached, and the water can be turned on.
Buy Hose Bibb Valves Online
If you still have questions, do not hesitate to call or e-mail. We value our customers and want them to be comfortable with their purchases. If you are looking for discount wall hydrants, then you have come to the right place. Our staff will help you understand your options. Do you need a frost-proof hose bibb? Do you need multiple units in the exact location? Etc. We have tons of plumbing solutions! If you can't find what you need, please get in touch with us.