About Wax Rings, Bolts, and Caps
Toilet wax rings are one of those indispensable products. They are used to seal the seam between the toilet and the toilet anchor which makes them crucial in preventing toilet leaks. If the seal is compromised, then you'll need to fix it ASAP. Save on all replacement toilet parts right here.
A well-timed toilet wax ring replacement can save you from a lot of trouble; this is precisely why we offer a variety of Harvey options (including wax rings with bolts) for the lowest prices online!
Why Are Toilet Wax Rings So Important?
One of the main questions many have about wax rings is why do we even need them? After all, one would think that there would be better products out there to prevent leakage, so why wax? Well, these molded wax loops are actually extremely effective for many reasons, making them the perfect product for your toilet base. Not only can they mold themselves to fit any toilet—one of the main reasons they are made out of wax—they also make a truly waterproof seal, and are extremely inexpensive to boot! Add in their mold and bacteria resistant properties, and it’s easy to see why toilet wax rings are so important to your toilet.
How to Diagnose a Broken Wax Ring
For the most part, diagnosing a broken wax ring is not too difficult. Here are a few things to look out for:
- Leaking toilet base: If your floor looks like your toilet just had an accident, your ring is probably broken. Fix it as soon as possible!
- Wobbly toilet: Oftentimes, toilets will wobble, causing toilet discomfort and spillage. This suggests you have a broken wax ring. Catch the problem before you develop a leak.
- Other Problems: If you replaced tile in your bathroom, a wobbly toilet may be caused by the spacing in between said tiles. Purchase a flange spacer to fill this gap (and don’t worry about replacing your wax ring)
How to Replace Wax Ring on Toilet
Follow these directions to safely and efficiently install your toilet wax ring replacement, the right way!
- Drain your toilet and turn off the water supply.
- Remove the bolts anchoring the toilet to the floor.
- Lift the toilet and move to the side (use four 2 x 4 x 6 blocks to hold the toilet drain off the floor while doing so.
- Remove old wax ring from drain.
- Plug drain with towels to avoid noxious sewer gas entering your home.
- Remove old boots from toilet anchor flange; fix flange or replace before installing new anchor bolts.
- Firmly press the new wax ring around the toilet drain. Do NOT press it out of shape.
- Place toilet over the floor drain and lower it into place. Rock the toilet slightly to create a seal.
- Reapply washers, nuts, bolts, and decorative caps. Use thread tape on the inlet threads and reattach water supply.
Buy a Discount Wax Ring Online
We hope you will find these instructions helpful. Call if you need more help with your bathroom improvement project! If you need a whole new toilet, we have a huge selection. Thank you for choosing PlumbersStock and enjoy your toilet wax ring replacement.